1. Dig a hole 2 inches deeper than length of ground sleeve and
approximately twice its diameter. Line bottom of hole with 3 inches
of tamped stone for drainage.
2. Prepare a concrete reinforcing mixture - 1 part cement, - 2
sand & - 5 parts stone.
3. Wet down hole with water so that earth doesn’t take water away
from the concrete.
4. Set sleeve upright in center of hole and fill in around it with concrete
mixture. Be sure sleeve extends
" to 1" above ground after final
grading. Use a level at two points on the sleeve 90 degrees apart
to make sure its plumb. Check plumb several times while filling
hole. Level off smoothly at top. Do not allow concrete to get into or
5. Assemble pole sections by sliding together, with swaged ends
extending upwards into next section. The top section is unswaged,
the second section from the bottom is unswaged. The remaining
sections make up the rest of the pole. The bottom section is drilled
for the cleat. Attach cleat, using the self-tapped screws supplied.
6. Screw ball ornament into top of truck. Thread halyard through
pulley and tie ends together. Secure truck to top of pole, using a
screwdriver to tighten set screws. Make sure pulley is aligned with
7. To affix snap hooks:
a) Pinch halyard between thumb and forefinger, forming loop.
b) Push loop through eye in snap hook-continue pushing until
loop reaches end of snap hook.
c) Bring loop over end of snap-fold back towards halyard.
d) Pull snap hook in opposite direction, thus tightening it into
e) Affix second snap hook the appropriate distance above
the first, according to the size of the flag being flown
(example- approx. 3’ for a 3x5’ foot flag.
8. When concrete has set, insert butt end of pole until fully seated
in sleeve. Rotate pole until pulley faces in opposite direction
from prevailing wind.
9. Drive several shims into space between sleeve and pole to secure
pole in place. A cedar shingle cut lengthwise into
" strips serves
quite well as shim material.
10. Break off excess shim stock by pulling sharply down and away
11. Use strip of caulking (Mortite, for example) to seal space between
sleeve and pole.
Annin & Co. Roseland, NJ
How to Install & Assemble your Patriot